Sunday, April 21, 2013

City of Craft - 2013 Edition

I went to City of Craft last year and remember it being rather adorable, so I thought I'd check it out again this year. At $1 admission, I wasn't exactly risking very much if I didn't like it. Not that I needed to worry about that, as it definitely lived up to my recollections. Hosted in a very well used church (seriously, there was a big crowd lining the main entrance hall waiting for their salsa class!), it was quite the sight with the sunlight streaming in and the space above the exhibitor tables strung with bright garlands. I don't hang out in churches much, so this was a pleasant surprise.


The exhibit was spread over two rooms - not huge but fairly sizable and pretty high quality. Knit toys and cloth dolls seem to be huge this season and I can definitely see the attraction (pocket zombies, anyone?). There were also a number of paper craft places, knit potted cacti, leather goods (wallets, card holders, etc.), pottery, art, and a caterer with some seriously delicious treats at a reasonable price. There was a great DJ playing super fun tunes (I saw a couple of people having a full-on dance party). And did I mention a 6-yr old who was selling some crafts with designs he drew himself?! Like I said, City of Craft is pretty adorable. I would recommend checking it out next year. It's a fun way to spend an hour.

WHAT: City of Craft 2013 (exhibit and sale)

WHERE: Trinity St. Paul's United Church (Bloor and Spadina)

WHEN: April 20 - 11am-6pm

COST: $1

INSIDER DETAILS: Just down the street from the church is my favourite used book store in the city. Drop by BMV if you're looking for something to do after the craft show. And if you get hungry, there are a lot of Korean restaurant just a little further west, which are generally inexpensive and fun.

These were drawn by a 6-yr old
My personal favourite - pocket zombies!

No comments:

Post a Comment