Monday, April 08, 2013

The Old Book and Paper Show

This year's Timeraiser was hosted at Artscape Wychwood Barns and when I was there, I met some people from Artscape and learned more both about the space and the organization behind it. Quite taken with them, I hopped on my computer the first chance I got and set off exploring their website. Which is how I came across the Old Book and Paper Show. Being an avid reader and lover of all things paper and vintage, this one was a no-brainer and I quickly added it to my calendar.

The show promised: "vintage postcards, posters and lobby cards, vintage photography on paper plus daguerreotypes and tintypes, scientific journals, collectible comic books, advertising and magazines, and more." It certainly delivered on all counts. Not only could you find all kinds of collectibles, but if you were looking to spruce up your art collection, this was also a great spot to pick some beautiful vintage pieces that wouldn't cost you your firstborn child. And for those looking for a chuckle, some of the vintage postcards are downright hilarious! Even by modern standards, they are quite cheeky (but in a really smart way!). I loved browsing through boxes of those.

WHAT: The Old Book and Paper Show

WHERE: Artscape Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St.

WHEN: April 7, 10:00 am- 4:00 pm

COST: $8

INSIDER TIPS: Normally I'd say go early, but with the antique crowd, this hardly makes a difference as they were out in droves right from the start. So instead, budget a few hours and pack your patience. Some of the gems you can dig up will be worth it. And talk to the vendors! I don't know the first thing about antiques but enjoyed the atmosphere and one of the vendors told me about some great shows to check out. Nothing like expanding one's horizons :) Finally, take a look at Antique Shows Canada - they were offering a discount on admission.

As if I could leave without buying anything!

2 comments:

  1. Ciao Olena and greetings from California.
    I am a first time visitor and I love your blog. You are full of spunk. Awesome. What a great notion to share your adventures that act as an inspiration to others to live their life on a high note while waiting for all the pieces to fall into place. Bravo, Olena.
    I write a blog about food. And my thoughts on love, relationships, family and friends. Please visit. Maybe follow. That would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mario,

    Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed my blog (and my idea to inspire!). Most of the things I write about are easily transferable to any North American city, in one form or another. So feel free to borrow widely :) Just beware - a busy social life can be taxing! lol

    Will definitely check out your blog - it sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete